Having plants around your home has become more trendy than ever lately. While faux plants have made significant progress in their material and design as of late, there’s something special about having real plants sprinkled throughout your home. If you have pets, however, you need to be really careful what type of plants you’re bringing home.
If you have a pet at home that likes to explore and nibble on new things, consider this before purchasing a new plant. When looking at popular plants to have in your home, such as a fiddle leaf fig, you must ask yourself: are fiddle leaf figs toxic to pets?
Knowing this before you buy, as well as considering where in your home you can keep it away from your pet, is part of being a responsible pet and plant owner. You should also know what signs to look out for in case your animal manages to get their mouths or paws on your plant.
Consuming toxic items cause noticeable symptoms in animals, so you should thankfully be able to catch the signs in your pet so you can get them the appropriate medical care before it gets too serious.
First, What Are Fiddle Leaf Figs?
A fiddle leaf fig is a super popular household plant, though they aren’t exactly the easiest household plant to have. They originated in tropical climates, so they need a lot of specific care to stay healthy. When they are able to grow in a healthy environment, they can become quite large. Their leaves get pretty big and they are gorgeously green and beautiful.
Since a fiddle leaf fig that’s potted can still grow up to 10 feet, you’ll only be able to keep it away from your pet for so long. Unless you can put it in a room where they can’t access it, you’ll want to know whether or not it’s safe around your pet in case they were to try and eat it.
Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Toxic To Cats?
It can be very difficult to keep cats away from plants. Cats are curious creatures, and they can see going after plants as hunting. They also tend to like to bat at the large leaves that grow on fiddle leaf figs and other taller plants and trees.
Your fiddle leaf fig plants, however, are toxic to cats, and so they should not be anywhere near where they can chew or nibble at them. Chances are, your cat will not try to eat an entire leaf, but if they even manage to chew on them, it could get them very sick.
Fiddle leaf figs are toxic to cats because there are small crystals within the leaves that have calcium oxalate in them. The roots and the stems of the fiddle leaf figs also contain toxins that will harm your cat.
If your cat accidentally consumes a piece of a fiddle leaf fig, it could get stuck in their stomach or on their tongue. Sometimes, a cat will spit out the portion of fiddle leaf fig that gets in their mouth because it hurts their mouth. You might notice that your cat starts to drool or play with their mouths, as if they are trying to get something out of it.
If you can, try and remove the plant from their mouth before they have a chance to swallow it. You’ll also want to take your cat to the vet to let them know what happened. They will be able to give your cat the right medication to get the toxins out of their body.
Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Toxic To Dogs?
That calcium oxalate that’s within the fiddle leaf fig plant leaves is also toxic for your dog. It can also irritate their mouths as soon as it gets into their mouth, so they will most likely also try to spit it out as soon as they chew on it. There are also other toxins in fiddle leaf figs that will cause your dog great discomfort when ingested.
Not all types of dogs like to chew on plants, but some do. It’s best to get to know your dog’s unique behavior before bringing any plants into the home. Depending on the size of your dog, you might also be able to get away with blocking the plant off with something, as they may not be able to jump high enough to get their paws on it.
If your dog manages to get some fiddle leaf fig bits into their mouth, they will start trying to play with their mouths as well. You might also notice some swelling around their mouth or on their tongue. They also tend to drool excessively and may even vomit, or get exceptionally thirsty.
Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Toxic To Rabbits?
While it may not be as easy for a rabbit to have access to your plants, if you have a fiddle leaf fig, you want to keep it away from your rabbits as well. Rabbits are prone to eating vegetables and plants, so if they are wandering around your home, they may see the big leaves of your fiddle leaf fig as something they can eat.
If your bunny does end up getting at your fiddle leaf fig plant, you will probably notice similar symptoms cited for other animals. This could include skin irritation as well, if they manage to get any of the sap containing calcium oxalate on their fur or skin. They may also vomit or have diarrhea, and their eating and drinking habits could change.
Are Fiddle Leaf Figs Toxic To Birds?
Keeping your bird away from plants when they are allowed to fly around your home is probably more difficult than with any other pet. This is because birds are fast, they’re small, they’re hard to catch, and they can fly above our heads. If your bird stays in their cage, they are safe.
However, it’s still important to know that fiddle leaf figs are toxic to your birds as well. They can experience the same uncomfortable symptoms as other pets if they nibble on it or get the sap in a sensitive area, like their eyes or skin. You’ll notice similar physical symptoms from your bird if they accidentally eat part of the fiddle leaf fig.
You’ll want to be sure that, even if you keep your bird caged, the fiddle leaf fig is not placed anywhere near their cage. They can grow unexpectedly big, so you don’t want any leaves getting near their cage. You also want to be sure you clean your hands after caring for your plant and before touching your bird.
If you have a bird that is able to roam around your home, it’s probably best that you refrain from having a fiddle leaf fig in your home. The only exception would be if it’s in a room that your bird cannot access.
What You’ve Been Missing
Things To Remember
Accidents unfortunately happen, and even if you try to keep a close eye on your pets as frequently as possible, they still manage to get into things they shouldn’t. Thankfully, the harm that a fiddle leaf fig can cause is not extremely serious, unless the plant is consumed in large amounts.
Your furry friend will not feel so great for a few days, but the toxicity should leave their system and not cause any long-term damage. However, your fiddle leaf fig should be as elevated as possible to stay out of your pet’s reach if it’s in the home. You want to handle your fiddle leaf fig with the utmost care if you do have one around your home. Not only are fiddle leaf figs toxic to pets, but they can also irritate you. You’ll want to wash your hands thoroughly before touching any sensitive areas or giving your pet some love. Being super careful will ensure you can have your plant and a healthy pet too.